Sunday, March 7, 2010

Week 1 - Resonse to Bob Walker, Jr.


Every February is Record Production Month. The RPM Challenge is presented to musicians around the world and, for some reason, we all sign up and take part. The challenge is to write and record an album in 28 days (29 if it’s leap year). The prize for this challenge is a complete album of original music. Everyone who participates wins.
My band participated in this challenge in 2008 and 2009. I felt like I was missing something in my life this year as we were unable to participate. What took place instead was a similar challenge that seemed to be even harder, yet will turn out to be just as rewarding. The challenge of earning a Masters Degree in just 12 months. This February was filled with reading, writing, reading a course in a new format, reading some more, and writing some more. The nest three weeks I have the same feeling I had during my RPM experiences. This is now the thesis challenge.
During the RPM challenges we were faced with many obstacles. Snow storms, technology meltdowns, writer’s block, family issues, illnesses, more technology breakdowns, and more snow storms. Somehow we were able to overcome all of these obstacles and meet our goals. In one of my posts during the first challenge, I wrote, “Go ahead life, get in the way, I’ll just write a song about you”.
I would like to welcome all of my classmates to the thesis challenge this month. We were give 21 days to write a minimum of 25 pages as well as create a media project. As with the RPM challenge, I know we will overcome obstacles and meet our goals. I would also like to share one of the songs written and recorded in my last song. I hope it motivates.


Bob,

The succinct manner you have summed up our journey is amazing! You wrote a song that I for one certainly identify. Challenges has been the name of the game. Even this week, there were two days that I could not access FSO, was blessed with a stomach virus on top of it, and was wondering if I would be able to get all the required work accomplished. Yet, here I sit, Sunday evening, finishing the last of my blogs. My thesis is all but ready to submit, my Content Proposal is a work in process, and I am looking forward to the challenges this week will bring. Do us a favor and write a song about all we DID accomplish at the end of this journey. I am willing to pay for it!!! I hope you like the clip art I found to go with your song :)

http://www.christart.com/clipart/art_info/235/

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rebbie,

    Glad you can relate to the song. I will have to take you up on the challenge of writing a song at the end of all of this, we sure did make it through quite a bit so far. I do like the clip art, it fits perfectly.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete